Canadian Business is a source of business information, analysis and advice for ambitious, smart, career-minded Canadians who want a richer life.
Meet the New Innovators • CB’s new annual ranking celebrates progressive measures of success
BEHIND THE SCENES
Creating an Inclusive Economy: BMO’s Mike Bonner on Pandemic Progress • Mike Bonner, Head of Canadian Business Banking at BMO, shares the issues impacting Canadian businesses and how inclusive support is the best way forward
Decisions made in the boardroom today, affect the world outside tomorrow • A message of inspiration for today’s board directors as you face the rising unknowns of tomorrow
INNOVATOR VOICES: • Named to the inaugural Canadian Business New Innovators List in the People Leaders category, Herbaland’s founders share how they built Canada’s leading gummy company
GREENER PASTURES • Mimi Lam dropped a lucrative career in finance to enter cannabis retail. Now her company, Superette, is one of the most agile brands in the country.
MOVES • Who’s in, what’s launching and other big business news
Target Market • Aisle 24, a chain of fully automated convenience stores, just opened its ninth location in Ontario and plans to expand into three more provinces this year
Let’s Get Virtual • Living-room workouts have been a thing since long before Buns of Steel—but the past two years have seen major gains for at-home fitness
Unforgettable stories by the country’s best writers Subscribe to Maclean’s
The Revivalis • The award-winning founders of DesignAgency are predicting a major comeback for restaurants and hotels
The Whole Package • Canadian company Greenlid transformed how we compost our waste. Now it’s tackling the fast-food industry.
BETTER TOGETHER • A stylish new co-working space in Montreal’s Verdun neighbourhood is connecting the area’s brightest businesses
THE NEW INNOVATORS • Our all-new ranking of 50 boundary-defying Canadian businesses
1. SHOPIFY • As our trust in tech loosens, Canada’s e-commerce titan stays golden
2. CHANDOS CONSTRUCTION • How a 42-year-old building business uses progressive policies to break new ground
3. IRIS R&D GROUP • This company takes a proactive approach to the too often reactive task of urban-infrastructure maintenance
4. CHEEKBONE BEAUTY • In the crowded beauty space, an Indigenous-owned brand stands out by leading with principles
5. BRANE INC. • A bit of Bay Street polish calms the chaos of cryptocurrency
6. YLAW • One law firm is upending the hustle culture of its industry
7. WEUSTHEM • Creative flair produces work that feeds both souls and pockets
8. STOF • Sometimes, the best strategy is to grow your own way
9. GUSTO 54 • In a battered industry beset by toxic behaviour, a people-first approach is rare—and refreshing
10. KINOVA • How a human-centric approach to design creates better, and more useful, robotics
Top 10 ENVIRONMENT LEADERS • The companies here each scored highly on metrics related to sustainability, thanks to their efforts to eliminate all avoidable waste, their ability to measure greenhousegas emissions and their supply-chain management and its environmental impact. In short: They show how green is good.
Top 10 PEOPLE LEADERS • Each of these companies reports highly diverse workforces, with substantial representation from LGBTQ+, BIPOC, disabled, refugee and religious-minority communities. They also offer a broad range of retention and recruitment programs that promote diversity, equity and inclusion.
Top 10 INNOVATION LEADERS • These companies build cultures...